Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Several Results from Batik Process with a Tjap

First Trial Run Results

This piece of batik is a result of me working with a tjap for the first time, and experiencing both too much and too little wax application. This post will explain more. Though many of you kindly offered ways on how to save this experimental fabric, I have to admit I was not disappointed with it. As a matter of fact, I love the organic imperfections! I had plenty of dye left over from the surface application, and used it to do a companion piece in an Essex linen. I used a low immersion method to get the wonderful variation of color and texture, and together I think they'll create something quite beautiful, and positively unique.

I have many firsts in my collection of things I have made: quilts, free motion quilting tops, longarming samples, and so on. Do you keep your firsts? For all those moments we feel like giving up, they are good reminders of how much we have grown. Some make me raise my eyebrows a bit, but it is also humbling. We all start some where.

Let Me Try This Again

I took a day to soak up all I could find on batik techniques. I read articles, and watched videos until I had some ideas to fix the problems I was encountering. Some techniques involved reducing the wax build up on the tjap, and others the padding on the table. Some involved my wax composition. I fiddled and fooled with all, and found even how I placed the tjap on the fabric made a difference. The photo above shows how the wax showed up this time around.

Here I have darkened the wax portion so you get a better picture. I was still experiencing parts that printed lightly, but overall it was a great improvement.

I used a pale yellow cotton, and Mermaid Green in Procion MX Dye. You must think of color theory when adding a dye to a fabric previously dyed. This came out a pale teal, and the waxed portions remained a pale yellow.

I applied the dye using a sea sponge. Some areas I blotted it on, and others wiped in stripes. If you look carefully above in the right half of this photo, I applied the waxed tjap twice. There is a slight ghost image, and I do not recommend it. The first print came out so light for me I felt I had nothing to lose. Cut up into pieces for a quilt it may never be noticed, but we are taking time to scrutinize so it is worth pointing out.

Both these photos are light, but I wanted to point out the print pattern. The above photos shows using the tjap to print one after the next like a grid, but the one below is a half drop repeat. I like it much better, and perhaps this tjap was designed to be used so.

I hope you are enjoying my adventures here, and can learn along with me while I handle the mess. I have been very excited to hear so many of you say you have to try this for yourselves. Please be sure to let me know how it goes for you. I can't wait to see!

Linking up with~


  1. The whole batik process is very interesting to me. I am so glad you linked up today so I could read this... I hadn't noticed this blog before. Sorry for the oversight, but so glad I noticed it now. This pattern is beautiful!

  2. I believe you are having some fun experimenting!

  3. What a complicated process--but what beautiful results!

  4. What fun - and fabulous results!
    Thank you for sharing!

  5. Love this!!! I've already suggested to my Husband a tjap and batik kit to get me for Christmas. Beautiful results, I also like the half drop repeat much better.

  6. Coming along nicely. Really like the teal one.

  7. You are making it look attainable for all! Great job!